Newsday Media Group (NMG) is one of the nation’s most dynamic media organizations, serving Long Island and New York City through its portfolio of mobile and digital products, print publications and live events. With 19 Pulitzer Prizes and other esteemed awards for outstanding journalism, our mission and vision is to engage consumers and businesses by connecting them to the communities in which they live, work and play.
The newsday.com Special Projects editor is responsible for all aspects of newsday.com editorial projects, from conception to launch. This position requires significant digital and newsroom experience. In addition, applicants should have project management and organizational experience, be immersed in innovative interactive techniques and have a keen eye for visuals as well as strong writing and editing abilities.
We’re looking for a digital storyteller who can help us utilize the latest tools to most effectively bring our strong journalism to our audience.
- Working with editors, reporters, developers and designers to come up with ideas for special projects and execute them;
- Playing a key role in making the writing and visuals for interactives as compelling as possible for our audience;
- Writing project specifications and timelines and ensuring all parties involved are meeting deliverables deadlines;
- Making judgment calls and editorial decisions on projects;
- Staying plugged into journalism innovations and helping us create new project templates;
- Training people throughout the newsroom on how to create and manage interactives;
- Using metrics to help improve projects and working with our social media team to expand the reach of our projects;
- Assigning and overseeing the work of Internet news managers.
Experience and qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree and at least five years of newsroom Web producing and project experience
- Have a portfolio of innovative and impactful digital projects you’ve worked on
- Worked with WordPress or other Web publishing content management systems, experience working with HTML, CSS and JS
- Well-organized and patient, with project management skills and experience with large-scale, compelling interactives;
- Committed to a high standard of journalism with a keen attention to detail;
- Creative, fast, accurate and flexible;
- Adept at juggling tasks and calm under pressure in deadline situations;
- Familiar with best practices in the industry and naturally curious about how other newsrooms are using digital tools to better tell stories.
- Reliable transportation to and from Newsday’s suburban Melville office
Newsday Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.
Location/Region: Melville, NY