Hostess is one of the largest packaged food companies focused on developing, manufacturing, marketing, selling and distributing fresh baked sweet goods in the United States. The brand’s history dates back to 1919, when the Hostess CupCake was introduced to the public, followed by Twinkies® in 1930. Today, Hostess produces a variety of new and classic treats including Ding Dongs®, Ho Hos®, Donettes® and Fruit Pies, in addition to Twinkies® and CupCakes.
Please see this link to research our company:
The Hostess Brands Bakery in Columbus, GA is seeking a talented Wrapper Technician/ PLC Technicianto join their bakery team. The Wrapper Technician is responsible for the following:
- Setting up wrapping machines for proper variety of product being produced, ensuring the proper code is being run and is in correct location and is legible, completing code verification, seal integrity, packaging verification and lot tracking sheets at specified times. The technician will use good judgment and notify supervisors when any check is not in compliance with company standards.
- Ensures machines are running at proper speeds.
- Trouble shoots and addresses electrical and mechanical issues. This position will also require the ability to read PLC logic and electrical schematics on all required equipment.
- Performs preventive maintenance.
- Keeps work area and machines clean always.
The Columbus, GA Bakery is a 24X7 operation thus one will work 12 hour shifts and may work any day of the week to include weekends. Four to five days per week is the typical work shift needed in order to meet the needs of the business.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: (not an all-inclusive list)
- Ensure that all work activities are performed with attention to the highest standards of food quality, safe processes, compliance with all appropriate legal requirements and a focus on continuous process improvement
- Maintains current and complete records of all activities – i.e. PM’s, safety, inventory, asset inventory, parts tags, etc.
- Assists with re-wraps and break operators as necessary.
- Communicates all changes at the time they are made and at shift change.
- Completes daily log sheets and distributes to supervision at the end of the shift.
- Ensures safety, legality and quality of product.
- Order parts used to keep parts inventory at proper level.
- Perform other duties relating to the department.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a similar position is required. Experience in Food Processing is a plus.
- BS in Electrical, Mechanical or Computer Engineering is desired but not required.
- Bakery Industry experience highly preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Understanding of commercial bakeries and bakery equipment
- Understands the functionality of ingredients with time and temperature in the baking process
- Understands the unique equipment in a bakery production plant, along with operation of that equipment relative to the baking process.
- Ability to trouble shooting equipment to ensure optimum efficiency and product quality
- Oral and Written Communication - Effective
- Personal Computer Skills - Literate with MS Excel, Word.
- Electrical and electronic troubleshooting.
- Manufacturing Environment
- Ability to climb ladders is required
- The employee must have the ability to sit, stand, walk, kneel, squat, bend, reach, push, pull, twist, crawl, climb stairs/ladders, and be able to lift to a maximum of 50 pounds.
- Ability to reach overhead various times per day and to ground various times per day.
- Climbing stairs and ladders various times per day.
Other Essential Elements Not Listed Above Include:
- Setting and Achieving Goals - Successfully coaches, trains, and follows up with people to ensure production goals are met.
- Understands Hostess scheduling for efficiency, ingredient and product flow, and distribution.
- Familiar with Hostess bread cake products and equipment
- Please see Engineering tool list.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, and encourage minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply.
Location/Region: Columbus, GA