Director of Finance and Administration (Full Time)
U.S. Dream Academy
Founded in 1998, U.S. Dream Academy’s (Dream Academy) vision is to break the cycle of intergenerational incarceration that affects society’s most vulnerable children and youth through an approach that emphasizes academic instruction and values-based character-building. The organization targets 3rd through 8th grade students and seeks to intervene at critical points in their education before it is too late to provide the necessary support. The Dream Academy has served more than 10,000 students in neighborhoods where arrests and incarceration are common occurrences and the local schools are not meeting the federally mandated Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) standards. Serving more than 700 students daily, the Dream Academy currently operates Learning Centers in seven (7) cities around the country including: Washington, D.C.; Baltimore, MD; Philadelphia, PA; Houston, TX; Salt Lake City, Utah; Indianapolis, IN; and Orlando, FL.
The Dream Academy is committed to expanding its reach to serve many more students than it currently serves and recognizes that it will need to build infrastructure and capacity in order to support this future growth. The organization has developed a long-term business plan to increase the number of children it serves. It expects to have corresponding growth during this time in the number of Dream Academy Learning Centers from 10 to 28, its employee headcount from 35 to 68 and budget growth to support and sustain this growth. For more information, please visit: www.usdreamacademy.com.
As a member of the Dream Academy’s senior leadership team, the Manager of Finance and Administration will be a working manager and strategic thought-leader reporting to the Deputy Director of the organization. This position is a key role in aligning with the senior management in the strategic decision making and operations for the Dream Academy.
Primary Role and Responsibilities
· Manage and oversee all aspects of the organization’s accounting and financial management.
· Analyze, create, and/or enhance accounting and financial systems, standard operating procedures, polices, processes, and practices to create efficiencies and ensure the highest quality of accounting, finance, and operations services and products.
· Responsible for performing responsibilities in a timely and accurate manner to include: budget preparation and monitoring, accounts payables, accounts receivables, expense reports processing, biweekly payroll processing, reconciliations of all accounts, as well as month and year end closings.
· Prepare monthly financial statements and reports.
· Prepare grant proposal budgets and associated narratives.
· Manage all accounting and financial aspects of annual fundraisers.
· Manage all accounting and financial matters associated with insurances to include business and employee insurances and benefits.
· Prepare accounting and financial reports for Board Meetings.
· Manage and support annual workers’ compensation and financial audits.
· Manage relationships with external accounting and financial service providers including lenders and others.
· Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
· Coordinate and lead the annual audit process including preparation for a Single Audit, liaising with external auditors and the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors; assess any changes necessary.
· Oversee and lead the annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Deputy Director and the Executive Director.
· Administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
· Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting by working in partnership with the Executive Director, Deputy Director, and others as appropriate.
· Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
· Effectively communicate and present the organization’s critical financial matters to the Board of Directors.
Technology and Administration
· Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate managers and non-supervisory employees on topics to include budgeting, accounting, finance, technology, and related matters.
· In conjunction with external IT consultants, lead the analysis of the current technology and infrastructure functionality, and ensure that the next level of technology systems is scoped to cost-effectively support the organization’s programmatic, organizational, internal and financial needs.
· Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
· Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities (real estate, legal, insurance, physical plant considerations, etc.) to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales.
This is a tremendous opportunity for an accounting and finance leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high impact organization, preparing for a major scaling initiative. Candidates will have experience with a high-performance track record for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting, and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area. In addition, the following qualifications are sought in ideal candidates:
· Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field.
· A Master’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, or related field; and a CPA is a definite plus.
· 7-10 years of progressive accounting, financial, and operations management experience, working in a rapidly evolving organization.
· Experience building organizational infrastructure for dramatic program growth and geographic expansion.
· Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with -- programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
· A track record in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting of government and foundation grants is essential.
· Technology savvy with Microsoft Office Suite as well as have experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
· Experience using QuickBooks, Bill.com, Concur, and fundraising technologies preferred; and able to learn multiple software systems quickly.
· Commitment to training programs that maximize individual and organization goals across the organization.
· Demonstrable experience in creating and driving the analytic framework for planning and managing organizational growth.
· A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization, and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
· Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
· An accessible and flexible management style that inspires trust and confidence; a multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
· Strong commitment to developing, recruiting and retaining a diverse team in a multi-cultural environment.
· Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of the Dream Academy.
The U.S. Dream Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position. The organization offers a competitive compensation and employee benefits program to include medical, dental, vision, prescription; vacation, holidays, and sick leave; 403B, and more. EOE.
For immediate consideration, send your resume to____________.
HR Anew is a full service human resources management consulting and professional services firm headquartered in Columbia, MD. Our work is grounded in innovation, thought leadership, and performance excellence as we work to recruit, develop professionally, and retain high performing and productive employees. To learn more about HR Anew visit our website at www.hranew.com. Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).