Sovos Brands is new kind of food & beverage company with a mission to acquire, build and revitalize one-of-a-kind brands. The company has a distinctive approach to people and brands, working to ensure that both can really thrive. Sovos has the soul of a startup, the experience of an industry leader, and the financial backing of Advent International, one of the leading global private equity firms in the world. We will invest in and grow high quality brands such as Michael Angelo’s Gourmet Foods and Rao’s Homemade, in on-trend categories that consumers love.
We don't have a mission statement as those are well intentioned, but often end up being meaningless.
We have 6 GUIDING PRINCIPLES which we live by:
• Lead with courage and tenacity
• Focus on quality
• Obsess with the front line
• Communicate with candor and respect
• Enjoy the ride
• Be nimble
Scope and Responsibilities:
Based in our Berkeley, CA Headquarters, the Brand Manager, Innovation will report to and work closely with the Senior Vice President of Marketing to develop strategy, generate business building ideas, assess competition and trends, uncover consumer insights, build winning consumer propositions across product, proposition and price, develop innovation pipeline for acquired companies and commercialize new products. Throughout the current and growing organization, the Brand Manager will be a thought and people leader to help drive the overall brand and business direction, implement key programs delivering topline growth and bottom line profitability, grow share and generate competitive advantage. S/he will work seamlessly with cross-functional teams, partner with Sales and R&D and collaborate with multiple agencies. The successful candidate will be comfortable leading and collaborating with a variety stakeholders to accomplish plans efficiently, effectively and with superior in-market results. This position requires a high level of collaboration across departments and a commensurate level of diplomacy and organization.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Lead development of innovation pipeline and launch new products across all phases from Discovery, to Development to Commercialization
• Assess trends, evaluate competition, conduct consumer research, analyze syndicated data, identify business drivers and recommend actions for growing brand via commercial and product innovation.
• Work with the Senior Vice President in development of an innovation plan and process to build a robust product pipeline that creates a competitive differentiation and increases consumer connection and loyalty to the brand. Lead new product development, SKU optimization, and new brand platform development.
• Manage project timelines, develop charters, define product proposition, determine source of competitive advantage, develop winning claims, review nutrition panels and ingredient statements, recommend pricing, while moving with agility using a mix of fact-based and intuitive decisions.
• Be a true business partner in representing the voice of the consumer within the company, across many functions and levels of the organization. S/he will be required to not only deliver new product plans that grow sales but also have a broad understanding of all areas of the business and the levers required to manage the P&L and drive profitability.
• Play a key role in integration of the marketing function as new acquisitions are made and continually bring positive energy to the function and business.
Key Selection Criteria:
The successful candidate will demonstrate deep consumer empathy, curiosity, exceptional business acumen, strong analytical skills, team-orientation and a hands-on, entrepreneurial approach. Success in this role is directly linked to demonstrated track record of driving superior results, ability to build strong cross-functional partnerships across Sales, R&D, Finance and Product Supply, and perseverance in driving to breakthrough. Innovation experience preferred. The Brand Manager, Innovation is a
The ideal candidate will meet the following requirements:
• 5+ years’ experience in a top Consumer Packaged Goods company in brand management; Food experience a plus. 5 years of Strong multi-channel marketing experience in the consumer products industry required.
• Bachelor’s degree, MBA preferred
• Prior experience at the Brand Manager level, strategically guiding and tactically executing marketing and innovation plans that drive share gains and sales growth.
• Consensus building skills, proven cross-functional partner. The ability to develop successful business relationships and work at all levels of the organization, gains the respect and trust of others, motivated by collective team success.
• Hands-on, roll-up-the-sleeves approach to leadership and partnership in representing the consumer. Excellence in working with cross-functional team when needed to provide energy, ownership and involvement in major initiatives related to the products and brand with an adept ability to multi-task at all levels.
• Strong analytical skills; demonstrated ability to analyze situations, quickly surmise options, and drive customer-focused recommendations that are consistent in achieving the brand goals.
• Ability to think strategically, as well as tactically. Has led the development of a successful product improvement, line extension and/or new product launch.
• Experience developing brand and promotional plans, both customer and consumer, that are lean and efficient with innovative media mix across multiple channels.
• Excellent project management skills and attention to detail, including ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines, and prioritize appropriately
• Demonstrated experience as a high performing, high-energy leader who possesses a passion for brands and results and thrives in adapting to a growing organization.
• Collaboration: Ability to work in a dynamic and fast-moving environment and be willing to partner with team members up, down, and across the organization.
• Values: Possess the core values of the brand and corporation. S/he must have strong integrity and truly care about delivering high-quality product, consumer, customer and employee experiences.
• Consumer Marketing Experience: Track record of success in developing and executing integrated marketing plans that leverage all elements of the marketing mix. S/he will possess a consumer-centric focus and will have the know-how to develop the most effective strategies and campaigns to drive the business.
• Track Record of Results: Proven record of innovative ideas and methods to drive superior business results as well as compelling marketing campaigns with analytical values that confirm and stretch marketing spend.
• Self-Starter & Action-Oriented: An innate desire to hold self fully accountable for delivering results with an internal fire to succeed. Low maintenance and no excuses approach to their work across the business. Can navigate, and even prefers, ambiguity and creating a path.
• Agile & Driven: Ability to navigate most situations without much guidance and in a non-dramatic approach. Determined to achieve growth while forging strong relationships that endure.
• Communication Skills: Ability to persuade, influence and inspire through both verbal and written communication. It is critical that this leader can synthesize complex issues into straight-forward strategies and actions.
Required Travel: Approximately 20%
cpg, cpgjobs, cpg jobs, consumer packaged goods, consumer goods
About this company
Sovos Brands is new kind of food & beverage company with a mission to acquire and build one-of-a kind brands. Sovos has the soul of a startup, the experience of an industry leader, and the financial backing of Advent International, one of the leading global private equity firms in the world. We will invest in and grow high quality brands such as Michael Angelo’s Gourmet Foods and Rao’s Homemade, in on-trend categories that consumers love.
Location/Region: Berkeley, CA