Hostess Brands LLC
Hostess is one of the largest packaged food companies focused on developing, manufacturing, marketing, selling and distributing fresh baked sweet goods in the United States. The brand’s history dates back to 1919, when the Hostess CupCake was introduced to the public, followed by Twinkies® in 1930. Today, Hostess produces a variety of new and classic treats including Ding Dongs®, Ho Hos®, Donettes® and Fruit Pies, in addition to Twinkies® and CupCakes.
The Food Scientist is responsible for research and development projects from concept through launch in collaboration with other team members and cross-function organizations such as Marketing, Procurement, Operations, and Supply Chain. This position is also responsible for managing cost optimization, quality, and process improvement projects. An individual in this position must be a self-starter that effectively builds and maintains strong relationships with both internal and external partners under limited supervision.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Develop and reformulate products, product ingredients, and product applications from concept to launch and research innovative ingredient and processing technologies
- Conduct plant trials and provide ongoing technical support to the Operations team
- Manage research projects for quality improvements, cost optimization, and process improvement
- Proactively develop new products and support Marketing initiatives to test and deliver innovation across all designated product areas
- Maintain product, ingredient, testing, and lab documentation and provide technical information for all regulatory, customer, and consumer requirements including nutrition information, ingredient statements, packaging and labeling issues, etc.
- Design appropriate testing procedures and methods and participate in product testing and sensory evaluation testing
- Develop project timelines, create technical proposals, reports, and prepare written and oral technical presentations for internal and external customers
- Work with Quality and Operations to define operational and quality standards, write operating procedures, and provide ongoing oversight to ensure product integrity
- Act as a subject matter expert in training management and employees on technical issues that will aid in their decision-making and improve job performance and product quality
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in product development in the food industry
Knowledge Skills & Abilities:
- BS in Food Science, Food Technology, Bakery Science, or a related field, MS a plus
- Process engineering and/or AIB bakery course completion a plus
- Proven ability to move R&D projects from bench top to commercialization with short lead times
- Demonstrated ability to understand and work with the Operations and Purchasing teams to deliver continuous improvements on existing formulas and processes
- Experience designing, conducting, and analyzing storage studies
- Good understanding of food science and technology principles, and ability to apply them in product development and commercialization
- Understanding of generating nutrition information, ingredient statements, packaging and labeling standards
- Ability to smell and taste and distinguish sensory characteristics of many different types of food products
- Proven ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects with varying level of complexity and in various phases of completion simultaneously
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and the ability to excel in a fluid, cross-functional team environment
- Strong presentation skills both to customers and internal contacts with the ability to influence decisions
- Ability to think analytically and provide fact-based strategic insights
- Ability to contribute to innovative and creative solutions
- Up to 50% travel with frequent overnight stays required
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, and encourage minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply.
cpg, cpgjobs, cpg jobs, consumer packaged goods, consumer goods
Location/Region: Southbridge, MA