The Role of the “Service Manager” Position
The Service Manager will have profit and loss responsibility for the department with defined revenue and margin targets. In addition he/she will be responsible customer satisfaction, employee productivity, training and development. Service manager will supervise a team of field technicians, and a shared responsibility for a service administrative person. Scope of work to include managing employees in the following disciplines: Access Control, CCTV, Intrusion, Commercial Door and Hardware.
This is a salary position that will report directly to EVP and Managing Partner.
Customer service and satisfaction is the key objective for a Service Manager. This requires a proactive approach to maintaining effective customer communications, along with building solid customer relationships, from initial contact through service issue resolution. Problem resolution, using company tools, processes and policies, is essential and involves retaining ownership of issues until a solution is identified, resolution is achieved and financial arrangements are settled. Collaborative teamwork is a must in this role and drives our success in providing customer support. Using all means at our disposal to keep our internal and external partners connected is critical to providing seamless customer support 24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week. We rely on our team through individual and group contributions to strengthen our methods, ensuring the continuous improvement of the organization.
This position is one of the most important functions within the organization. An enthusiastic effort to provide Extreme Customer Service® to our customers is vital. The Service Manager is primarily responsible for supporting customers experiencing problems with their integrated security, or low voltage systems. Delivering reliable, high quality, remote support and triage for our customers’ alarm & fire systems, video surveillance systems and network connections are the foundational responsibilities of this position. The Service Manager will assist in fielding incoming calls via telephone, e-mail and other mediums, documenting, diagnosing, troubleshooting, and solving systems issues.
· Establish and nurture relationships with clients
· Ensure that things do not slip through the cracks or get missed.
· Answer all requests for service and provide solutions for special requests if needed. *
· Ensure that the technicians in the field are aware of any changes or special instructions.
· Manage a team of service technicians to ensure they are thoroughly trained, have proper tools, accurately execute the work per industry standards, perform them within the scheduled time, and provide detailed notes and report additional work or information needed.
· Address productivity and performance concerns quickly and appropriately.
· Seek out training and cross training opportunities for team development.
· Look for ways to encourage and inspire your team through personal example and acts of service.
· Maintain parts on hand inventory for each truck in order to ensure timely response to customer needs.
· Perform quality calls & visits to clients in regards to service calls.
· Ensure all work scheduled is serviced, invoiced, and reported if needed.
· Make sure the customer is satisfied with the work completed.
· Constructively handle all customer complaints related to your department.
· Constantly strive toward continuing professional growth and work to improve your business skills and those of your technicians.
· Ensure that all service contracts and software service agreements are up to date and current.
· Develop and present service contracts to current and prospective customers.
· Work with the project managers to ensure there is a smooth transition from projects to warranty coverage.
· Detects potential crises, troubleshoots problem areas and develops contingency plans.
- Track service department metrics such as average response time and average resolution times.
- Raises issues and risks early and works with others to determine possible solutions, outline impacts, and resolve effectively.
- Manages and is accountable for execution to achieve desired objectives and requirements.
- Coaches, mentors, motivates, and supervises and evaluates all direct reports.
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities appropriately. Influences and holds team members accountable for assigned tasks. Sets and continually reviews expectations with team members.
- Identifies and resolves conflicts among team members and customers.
- Ensures all deliverables and commitments are met and the project is in compliance with relevant standards and methodologies
- Responsible for training service personnel, building a team with the skillset and customer service focus to support and grow the department. Accountable for the efficiency and productivity of the team. Ensures that fair and effective performance measurements are assigned and that employees are motivated to achieve and/or exceed their assigned goals and objectives. Conducts employee evaluations and/or communicates performance improvement strategies and actions.
· Empowers, organizes, and develops the service staff into a cohesive and effective team trained and motivated to grow the business. Responsible for hiring quality individuals who possess the necessary skills, knowledge, talent, and experience to fill open job positions. Identifies areas such as business and product knowledge, and customer service where training and development can enhance the department’s ability to meet current and future business needs. Maintains an open channel of communication among all departments and personnel to ensure consistent dialogue, foster initiative, and maintain employee morale. Will participate in technician ride-alongs to ensure compliance with safety programs, review productivity, measure performance, and review technicians’ abilities. Must ensure complete understanding of company policies/processes, reviewing them with employees to promote understanding and compliance.
· Ensures that all employees comply with safety programs and that employee safety training is complete and up-to-date. Completes all workplace accident investigations as required by the company’s policy. Identifies safety issues and hazards and notifies management of conditions that require corrective action.
· Responsible for managing the service department to an approved financial plan which includes operating expenses, accounts receivable/collections, manpower, capital, and inventory.
· Responsible for implementing plans, programs, and processes designed to meet or exceed company goals and objectives as well as maximizing market potential in all business segments to include new service sales, revenue, and profitability.
- Oversee the on call rotation for emergency service.
- Must be a backup for the 24 hour on call rotation.
- Review and approve staff time sheets and expense reports.
- Develop training and development programs and plans for the service department staff.
- Meets regularly with technicians and service department personnel for coaching and feedback on training, promoting company vision, mission, values, running call-by-call management, and tracking performance.
- Ability to anticipate and identify problems and use sound judgment and fact-based analysis to develop effective and efficient solutions
Qualified applicants for the Service Manager position will meet the minimum requirements, as described below:
- The successful candidate must be a proven self-starter, with 5-7 years’ equivalent work experience in Access Control, CCTV service experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Prior service management experience is a plus.
· High School Diploma or GED is required. A Bachelor’s degree in construction management, personnel management, and project management or related field would be a plus.
· Must have excellent time management and organizational skills.
· Must be proficient (or able to quickly become proficient) in the following computer programs (Excel, Access, Word, Internet, Outlook, Power Point, Microsoft Project and among others).
· Excellent oral, written communication and customer service skills are essential. This position requires a valid driver’s license, clean driving record.
· Possess strong customer telephone skills.
· Familiar with major manufactures of access control and CCTV systems. Experience with Lenel, Open Options, AMAG, Avigilon and RS2 a plus.
- Strong troubleshooting skills set
- Understanding of networks and connectivity protocols
- Team leader
- Success driven
- Strong skill set for time management
- Excellent client interaction skill set.
- Expense management, forecasting billing and financial reporting.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize among assignments with a strong adherence to deadlines.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, both with internal and external customers.
- Be able to create tracking spreadsheets, reference data in other spreadsheets and create macros.
- Must be organized, detail oriented and self-motivating.
- Must pass a pre-employment background check and drug screen.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a driving record that meets company requirements
- Must be highly organized and detailed and able to implement an effective and efficient strategy that ensures a streamline process within their responsibilities. This will involve challenging deadlines and the ability to develop contingency plans in certain situations.
- The Service Manager must have a professional work ethic, be articulate and also use good independent judgment and discretion. Must have proven ability to maintain correspondence, discussions and materials in strictest confidence. Must be able to work overtime as needed.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills required with the ability to successfully interact at all levels of the organization while functioning as a team player. This includes a strong ability to effectively translate information to the appropriate levels within and outside of the organization.
· Must possess certain traits, such as flexibility, assertiveness, approachability and foresight. Being able to handle stressful situations, to delegate tasks and to bring together the ideas of team members are also crucial. Skills required for this position include communication, leadership and organization. Math and computer skills are essential for many of the tasks required of a service manager.
We are an electronic security company that provides security technology to large commercial companies and organizations. In 2017 we were chosen as one the top 50 fastest growing companies in Charlotte and in 2018 we were named the #1 Security Installer in North America. We are an employee centric company where employees come first even before customers! We always look at things through the eyes of the customer.